Wednesday 22 May 2013

Poor Choices.

Have you ever made a poor choice? Chances are you have made at least one or two after all you are human.  The degree of the poor choice can vary considerably and the repercussions of these choices can be short term or last much longer. I am currently going through a crisis in my life based on a poor choice that I made. I am learning first hand the effects on my own life and those around me. It is always a difficult thing to find out that you are not perfect, especially in a world that values perfection above everything else.  For an over achiever like myself it is particularly disconcerting.  “I should be above this, I should know better, Why? Why? Why?”  All of this is moot as the mistake has been made and cannot be undone.  So where do I go from here.  I have always told my children that it’s okay to make mistakes and when you do you need to do three things:

1. Admit it. 2. Make Amends. 3. Move Forward.  Today it is time to take my own advice.

I have owned my poor choice, apologized for it and am making amends the best way I know how, now I need to move forward.  A wise person told me to “travel the road without judgement” and I think this is the key.  We can become so caught up in feeling bad about ourselves and trying to make amends at the expense of our own needs.  This will serve no one least of all ourselves. In order to move forward I will need to not judge myself, accept that I cannot change it and trust that I will learn what I need to learn and be a better person for it.  After all that is the purpose of all of the tough life lessons that are thrown our way. . . . to learn from them. While I have been humbled, I am committed to using this experience to improve myself and thereby the lives of those around me. Today I am sorry, tomorrow I will be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment