Thursday 27 February 2014

Breath. . . .Breathe your way.

For anyone who has ever done yoga or meditation you will be familiar with the words “follow your breath”, “pay attention to your breath”, “watch your breath”.  Having done yoga and meditation for a number of years, I am very familiar with this concept, but have to admit that until recently I didn’t fully understand why it is so important.  I often had difficulty “watching” my breath in meditation, preferring instead to watch my thoughts (mindfulness) or recite a mantra (concentration), but on my quest for finding and living my authentic self, I had a light bulb moment.  I often talk about the duality of the human condition, our ego/mind and our authentic self/soul.  One morning during meditation it struck me how we use our mind to try and control our breathing (mostly unconscious based on our thoughts), we shorten it, hold it, release it, deepen it, lengthen it. . .  but our "mind" cannot stop or start it.  Breath comes from your soul, it stops and starts and breathes regardless of what “thoughts” are in your mind, and following it leads directly to your authentic self.  Okay many of you may have already figured this out; it just took me a little longer! It’s always interesting to me how we can hear, study and read the great teachings that have been sent down to us, but we only “get it” when we are ready to fully integrate it into our lives. I wanted to share this story with the hope that it may help someone have their own “light bulb” moment and also to confirm that we need to stay the course of our learning and growing as we never know when we may get that one tidbit that makes all the difference. Today I am much more aware of my breath, both during mediation and through out the day.  By following it, watching it and paying attention to it I am able to seek the comfort and wisdom of my authentic self again and again!


No comments:

Post a Comment