Tuesday 22 April 2014

Lost or Searching?

One day I was helping a friend who was going through a rough patch and feeling a little lost.  I said to him “you’re not lost your searching, because if you’re lost you are waiting for someone to find you, if you are searching you will find your own way”.  I didn’t fully realize the profoundness of this statement until later.  Next time you find yourself feeling “lost” keep this in mind.  Are you waiting for an event to happen that will make you happier? If someone in your life could just see it your way that would change everything? If you made more money you would then be able to pursue your dreams?  All of these questions are examples of being “lost”.  You are waiting for something outside of yourself to improve your circumstances.  In my experience this only leads to pain and suffering.  I used to be one of those people who was always planning, planning what I was going to say, planning what I was going to do, planning where I was going to go, planning planning, planning.  Thanks to my mindfulness meditation practise this pattern became very clear to me as I sat in silence and watched my thoughts.  What I learned from them was that I was not happy in the present.  It has been a work in progress but I can happily say that I have changed this pattern and am now able to fully enjoy and live in the moment. . . .No more PLANNING!! I attribute this success to my ability to “search”, I wasn’t lost, I knew I could find my own way.  Yes I did have some great teachers, friends and coaches along the way, but I did the work, I found my way.  That’s what searching is all about.  As happy soul seekers, we all want to share what has worked for us with the hope that others will find their way to peace, contentment and happiness in every moment.  Again, in my experience everyone must find their own way.  It is still good to share your successful tools, that’s why we have had all the great teachers and guru’s who have given us the teachings, but we all still need to find the one that resonates with us.  There are more options now than ever before to find your way, with an increase in Eastern philosophies moving into the West.  When you are “lost” in the forest searching for your way out what is your plan?  Imagine this scenario and see what your “go to” strategy is and use this same strategy to set about a plan for bringing the happiness, peace, contentment or whatever your wishes are into your life.  You can do it.  You can find your own way. . . .keep searching, pay attention to your instincts, be aware, take some risks, stay the course, and you will get out of that forest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment