Sunday 16 March 2014

Staying grounded in challenging times.

I have been dealing with some challenging times over the past couple of months.  For the most part I have managed to stay grounded; however I have also had moments of distress, sadness, anger and feeling overwhelmed.  A few things are helping me cope and I wanted to share them with you.


Absolutely the most important thing has been my meditation practice; I can’t imagine how I would manage without time in silence and reflection.  It centers me, takes the fogginess from my mind and gives me the peace and clarity I need to make the necessary decisions.  The second tool that has been invaluable is self care.  Knowing when I am overwhelmed and need to take a step back.  Giving myself what I need, time alone, a bath, a walk in nature, a cup of tea, some supportive words from a friend, recognizing this need and acting on it allows me to recharge.  The other thing that has really helped keep me grounded are my children.  They are 18 and 21 years old and what I love about them is they totally live in the moment.  They deal with everything on a “need to” basis.  This reminds me everyday to live in the moment, to take one step at a time and not worry or stress about what is further down the road.  Everything always works out just the way it needs to and "allowing it" makes it much more enjoyable.  I have a few more months until most of my challenges will be over and I will continue to use these tools to make a smooth transition. On the darker days when nothing seems to help, my strategy has been and will continue to be to allow it, watch it, learn from it, gather strength, let it go and move forward.  In my experience a bad day always opens up to a better one.  And so I will carry on, working through the challenges and savoring the joy of each accomplishment.  I know through it all, I will be stronger, emotionally healthier and so much more aware.  And when it is all done, I am looking forward to a summer of FUN! After all what is the value of hard work if it is not followed by a celebration!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment